Saturday, February 3, 2018

NCDLCN Virtual Learning

This is my third year participating in the North Carolina Digital Leadership Coaching Network. I've had the privilege to serve as a mentor for two of those years.  In every face-to-face meeting I grow as an educator. The topics are always presented in an engaging way and are relevant to my position. The leaders are enthusiastic and encouraging. I leave every meeting with a new protocol (often several), a new friend, encouragement, "food for thought", and sometimes an award or swag.

Most recently NCDLCN offered additional learning opportunities through the first NCDLCN Alumni Virtual Conference. Fortunately in our district it occurred on a snow day. This allowed me to participate in three sessions. This was a fabulous professional learning experience!  The Zoom format was perfect; allowing the presenters to share their screens and the participants to share questions and comments. I ended each session with relevant information and resources that I could implement and/or share immediately with the educators I work with.  Another plus is that the sessions were archived so that I can view additional sessions during a time that is convenient for me. You can view them here.  I appreciate the time that the organizers and presenters invested to bring this virtual conference to NCDLCN alumni. 

I am inspired to investigate this method of professional learning as a possibility for our district. We are already in the process of creating a YouTube channel where teacher leaders will share short videos that highlight strategies and ideas. Teachers can choose videos that interest them and view at their leisure. 

Encouraging teacher leaders to present a casual virtual session, similar to the NCDLCN Alumni Virtual Event, and then archiving the videos would offer additional learning opportunities to meet different learning preferences. Learners could watch live or archived sessions independently or as a group. 

This type of digital learning experience addresses many adult learning characteristics. 


  • learners have control and are self-directed
  • learners can choose relevant sessions that meet their individual goals
  • learners can choose a time that works with their schedule
  • learners can choose and personalize their learning environment



Learning and growing has never been easier and it's important to never stop learning because life never stops teaching. 






No comments:

Post a Comment